Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sailing and Sailboats

Sailing is a big part of my life, it's my main hobby, it's what my website is based on, it's what I think about every day, it's how want to live for the rest of my life.

I am fairly new to sailing and sailboat though, I have only been around them for about four years now. I have learned alot in that short amount of time though.

When you own a sailboat, one thing that you have to always do is, maintenance. Performing maintenance on a sailboat is not something anyone can just do, there are alot of things that you need to learn before you go messing with a sailboat. This being true, if I want to get serious with the sailing thing I need to learn maintenance.

So in order to learn more about working on sailboats, I have gotten into buying older sailboats and restoring them and then selling them for a small profit. It's fun, a great learning experience and way to make a bit of extra cash.

The first sailboat I owned purchased for about three thousand dollars. It was in working condition but it wasn't perfect. I learned how to sail on it and fixed it up a bit and sold it and nearly doubled my money. Now, I have a sailboat that wasn't in sailing condition when I bought it, but it's a project. It needs alot more work than my first sailboat but that's partly the reason that I bought it. So that I would have to do the work and then I would learn the trade and become knowledgable on the subject so that I could apply that knowledge to larger and more expesive boats.

So, with the Lord willing, maybe I can make my mistakes on a small cheap sailboats so that I hopefully will not make large expensive mistakes are on a high dollar sailboat.

No comments: